Finance in Telecoms
This programme looks at the financial aspects of running a successful business, focusing squarely on the Telecoms / Communications Industry. The main financial concepts and accounting documents are explained in detail, with examples taken from within the industry, and financial jargon demystified. Effective financial control is explored, where budgeting, financial processes, and forecasting techniques, are presented and evaluated in order to develop a financial toolkit that can be used back in the workplace. Finally, we use financial data and reports to analyse and make sense of the business, using appropriate financial KPIs to evaluate performance and then looking at how the right KPIs can be used to underpin key strategic decisions.
The programme consists of 3 focused modules:
(1) Finance for Telecoms Professionals
Focused on examples from within the telecoms industry, Module 1 looks at the primary accounting documents and the financial principles that underpin them. We explore their use within telcos and vendors, discuss best practice and international accounting practices, and demystify the jargon – including jargon that is specific to the industry. By the end of the module, you will be able to interpret the main messages from financial documents and reports, making sense of current financial positions, income statements and cash flow – all in the context of the telecoms industry.
(2) Budgeting & Forecasting
Module 2 explores the techniques and strategies for marketing both traditional telecoms services in a dynamic and rapidly changing market, as well as emerging and advanced digital services. We examine the marketing issues arising from convergence and the bundling of multi-play services as well as the role of the regulator. Effective segmentation strategies and the shift in focus to B2B and enterprise is looked at before we conclude with in-depth case studies.
(3) KPIs and Financial Analysis
Module 3 takes a comprehensive look at financial data and KPIs, including the key ratios that are used to analyse, predict, and compare performance – from the purely financial point of view, as well as the overall business. Focusing on the telecoms industry, we analyse the data and information holistically, allowing us to build a comprehensive view of the business, including past performance and likely future performance. We consider how the analysis should be used to drive strategic decisions and measure success in terms ROI)
Outcomes and Competency Development
Participants will develop or be able to:
- Discuss the difference between the Balance sheet and the Profit & Loss or Income statement and understand the role of the cash Flow statement
- Identify the 5 elements of the Balance sheet, the three elements of the cash Flow statement and the key elements of the Income statement
- Be able to examine a company’s profitability
- Understand how efficiency and profitability drive return on investment
- Explain the difference between cash and accrual accounting
- Understand the difference between operational and capital expenditure
- Know how to put together a budget that covers the Income Statement, Balance Sheet and forecast Cash Flow and be able to undertake variance analysis
- Understand how to build a business case, using Discounted Cash Flow (DCF) models and be able to determine the Internal Rate of Return (IRR ) of a project
- Understand the key ratios that are used to analyse, predict and compare performance for a business in the telecoms industry
- Analyse financial data can be used to build a comprehensive view of the business and how this can be used to drive strategic decision making
Programme Format & In-Course Support
Our fully supported, 3 month Distance Learning programmes provide an in-depth understanding of key communication industry topics. These assessed courses consists of 3 highly focussed modules, each lasting 4 weeks and incorporating comprehensive courseware, exercises, self-test assessments and live tutor led webinars to help you gain a thorough understanding of the subject matter.
The flexible format provides an ideal framework on which to develop individual competencies, and if applied as part of the wider training strategy, is a highly efficient and cost effective way of building a range of competencies across the wider organisation. This course features;
- High Quality Colour Course Manuals
- Live on Web Tutorials & Webinars Consolidate each Module
- Tutor support, via email throughout your studies.
- Self-test assessments to check progress, learning and understanding
- Post–Course Examination