LTE Technology Bootcamp for Public Safety Professionals
Public Safety bodies around the world are looking to deploy networks using the LTE standard, to replace aging infrastructure based on TETRA, PMR, and P25. LTE has much to recommend it in this role, but “standard” LTE systems lack key functionality that is required to replace the legacy public safety networks.
Despite those limitations, governments globally, are evaluating whether LTE can meet their public safety requirements, while incumbent interests lobby from both sides of the debate. For example, the US government initially allocated $7bn for its FirstNet project – an LTE network designed for first responders – and the UK’s proposed Emergency Services Network is equally tied to the 4G telecommunications standard. With this world-wide interest, extended standardisation work has been undertaken to incorporate functionality that support requirements unique to public safety users.
This course covers the features that make LTE suitable for public safety use, enabling delegates to intelligently enter the debate and identify the right technology for every situation.
This programme will provide a solid grounding in LTE and LTE network architectures before moving to a description of the functions included from LTE Release 12 which provide the necessary enhancements for Direct Mode operations and reliable Group Calling.
All network node functions and requirements will be explained and presented with examples of signalling and typical use scenarios.
Outcomes and Competency Development
Participants will develop or be able to:
- Explain the advantages of using LTE in public safety networks
- Recommend deployment strategies for public safety networks
- Make well-grounded and realistic judgements regarding the limitations of LTE technology, and how those might impact operational efficiency
- Identify the industry initiatives pushing LTE into public safety applications
- Establish the political and commercial imperatives behind the push towards LTE
- Evaluate the best technology for specific public safety applications
- Identify the key players in the public safety industry, and how their agendas impact the technology debate
- Make decisions on technology implementation and procurement that are commercially viable, minimise risk, and in line with the strategy and goals of the wider organization.
The Benefits to the Organisation Include:
- A comprehensive and coherent explanation of standard LTE and the enhancements required for Public Safety application
- Develops clarity and unity throughout the organisation and within the functional teams
- Delivered by Informa Telecoms Academy – with extensive experience of training tier 1 and 2 operators and vendors worldwide, and with insights from the Informa and Ovum analysts
- Experts who are full time training professionals – and very experienced in delivering short, hard hitting seminars and workshops for forward looking organisation, and as part of the Informa Telecoms & Media exhibition / conference agendas.
- Enables individuals and teams to recognise and develop best-practice across the organisation - and have the confidence to share; and to make business and technology decisions that are focused, balanced, and fully grounded in business reality.
- Strengthens the foundation on which to develop a more innovative environment that fully embraces emerging opportunities and creative thinking