LTE/SAE Evolved Packet Core and VoLTE
This course describes, in detail, the architecture of the LTE/SAE Evolved Packet Core (EPC) network which is an essential component of next generation mobile networks. The overall requirements of the LTE/SAE proposals are examined along with the relationship with the existing components within a mobile network, this is developed into a description of the key interfaces and the protocols deployed.
A detailed analysis of the LTE/SAE architectural functionality is provided along with a description of the architectural reference points and protocols including the SGW, PGW, PCRF and interfaces, S1, S5, S6, S11 as well as a detailed look at the interactions between the IMS and EPC.
The importance of Policy Control and Charging is studied with a description of the PCRF and functions it provides in respect of managing user connections.
VoLTE, SIP and the IMS will also be explained, outlining the concepts of VoLTE and the network requirements to support voice and voice based services. VoLTE SIP signalling examples will be described, giving a global view of the end to end procedures for typical VoLTE events
Outcomes and Competency Development
Participants will develop or be able to:
- Relate theoretical diagrams of the SAE/EPC with practical implementations.
- Detailed understanding of each network node, eNB, MME SGW
- Be fully conversant with the EPC interfaces and protocol sets.
- Be able to describe the detailed relationship between core network nodes.
- Understand and explain the S1_U and S1_MME interface and describe the protocol stacks for each interface.
- Follow detailed procedures and appreciate the function of each interface for various scenarios such as, Registration, Bearer Functions, Handover, QoS Modifications.
- Describe the protocols used on the EPC interfaces S1, S5, S11, S6, S3 and S4
- Evaluate options for VoLTE implementation and understand the basic VoLTE operations
- Understand aspects of mobility for VoLTE, including, PS-PS handover, PS – CS handover
- Describe the operation of CS fallback mode for mobile terminating and originating calls
The Benefits to the Organisation Include:
- Develop employee skills and knowledge in this key area of technology evolution.
- A comprehensive and coherent explanation of standard LTE and the enhancements required to support VoLTE
- Delivered by Informa Telecoms Academy – with extensive experience of training tier 1 and 2 operators and vendors worldwide, and with insights from the Informa and Ovum analysts.
- Experts who are full time training professionals – and very experienced in delivering short, hard hitting seminars and workshops for forward looking organisation, and as part of the Informa Telecoms & Media exhibition / conference agendas.
- Enables individuals and teams to recognise and develop best-practice across the organisation - and have the confidence to share; and to make business and technology decisions that are focused, balanced, and fully grounded in business reality.
- Strengthens the foundation on which to develop a more innovative environment that fully embraces emerging opportunities and creative thinking.